Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Harrison's B-day Cupcakes!

I would love to say I made amazing homemade cupcakes for Harrison's 3rd birthday... but let's be real. I didn't have time for the full homemade batter and the amazing real chocolate butter cream frosting. So here's what I did to make cupcakes while Mikey put the big kids to bed last night... 

Shopping List
24 cupcake liners 
1 box chocolate cake mix (requires: water, oil and eggs) 
1 container of "whipped" chocolate frosting
Sprinkles! 



Step By Step 
  1. Follow box directions for cake batter and spoon into cupcake liners. If you want to do the real home made cake... go for it but in my experience the Betty Crocker box stuff is better and so much easier. Personally, I like her "SuperMoist Chocolate Fudge".
  2. Prep the "whipped" frosting by scooping the entire can into a gallon size bag. Cut the tip of the bag to create a super simple, easy to clean pastry bag. If you don't use "whipped" frosting, this technique will be more difficult. 
    • Note: If you want to be fancy... this is the opportunity. Make the real chocolate butter cream frosting from Ina Garten's recipe collection. It is worth the extra time and effort if you have the energy. So amazing!! 
  3. Once cupcakes are done, let cool (while you drink a glass of wine!). 
  4. Squeeze the frosting in a circle, starting from the outside edge working your way to the center. They look best when they aren't perfect.
  5. Sprinkles and viola... done! 
Last night, I realized I didn't have a good way to store all my super cute cupcakes. Bummer. Good thing I have great neighbors and someone let me borrow their cupcake storage container. Good friends are worth millions!! 

So first thing this morning, I ordered this cupcake/cake carrier. Looks awesome to me. It can hold two cakes, one super tall cake or 24 cupcakes. I like the versatility! 

PS: Thanks Mikey for always being a rockstar dad and helping with the kiddos. You make it possible for me to bake cupcakes. I also appreciated you taste testing 2 of those bad boys... I guess they pass the test! 

No comments:

Post a Comment