Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Private vs Public

The question of what is private and what is public has become much more prevalent since I started writing this blog. When I decided to start writing publicly, I knew I had to make a choice about what was public. But until I actually starting publishing and proactively sharing it didn't become real. 

Love this quote. "A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats." I hope to contribute to the tide.

Recently, I have received a lot of comments in my personal circles that are closely associated with my career. Everyone has been very positive about my work here at Blazers and Babies but they wonder how it will impact my real job. The women in particular seem to be enjoying reading about the challenges I face in my combo world but admit they wouldn't write as freely as I have been. A few have cautioned with me that I might be sharing too much for the type of career I have. Hmmmm. They might be right. 

There is always risk with sharing personal thoughts publicly. Heck, there is even risk sharing your personal opinions at a dinner party. People all have so many opinions. People judge. 

So I wanted to be clear with myself and anyone taking the time to read. I do have a line in the sand. Here it is: If I were at lunch with anyone (strangers and clients included) I would share openly about my life. About my struggles. About my good days. I would trust my openness would receive reciprocal openness. 

On a blog, there isn't much reciprocation (except in the comments people post) so that is tough to judge. But I want to be open here. I want to be honest, genuine and real. I don't only want to share the good stuff. I want to open discussions about tough topics. I think there needs to be more openness about the world I live in. 

So I take this risk boldly. If anyone has a problem with it, let me know. Otherwise, I write on!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment